Vernon City Council endorses Active Living Centre Referendum communication strategy
On October 15, 2022, eligible voters in Vernon will be asked if they are in favour of borrowing funds for the purpose of developing the proposed Active Living Centre – a new multi-purpose indoor recreation facility.
At its Regular Meeting of August 15, Council endorsed a comprehensive strategic communication plan intended to help citizens in Vernon become aware of the project, its details, financial implications for Vernon taxpayers, and how eligible voters can participate in the referendum process.
With Council’s endorsement, the City has officially launched an information campaign that has been developed to share accurate, fact-based information about the project and the referendum process, to help empower Vernon voters to make an informed decision on October 15.
“The proposed Active Living Centre is a significant project for the Vernon area and there is a lot of detailed information to share with voters,” said Christy Poirier, Manager, Communications and Grants.
“Therefore, we are putting a big focus on getting out into the community so residents can talk directly with staff, review material together, ask questions, and receive answers in real time. If members of the public would prefer to review material online, we’ve also developed a webpage at www.engagevernon.ca/activelivingcentre, where they can find a list of frequently asked questions, relevant reports, and conceptual drawings of the facility, among other things.”
Between now and October 15, the City will be offering a number of ways for members of the public to easily access information and learn about the project and the referendum. Some of these include:
- Information booths at community events
- Open houses and pop-up information booths
- Presentations to community service and business groups
- An information webpage at www.engagevernon.ca/activelivingcentre
- Regular news releases
- Regular posts and stories on our social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn) using the handle @CityofVernon
- Distributing information kiosks to various community facilities (such as Vernon City Hall, the Vernon Recreation Centre, Kal Tire Place, etc) that will include a list of Frequently Asked Questions and some of the conceptual drawings of the proposed facility
Some of the community events that are already confirmed are listed below. As more community events, open houses, and pop-up information booths are confirmed, updates will be provided to the community.
Upcoming community events
- August 18: 2900 Plaza Downtown Sounds (2900 block of 30th Avenue) @ 6pm
- September 23: BC Culture Days at Polson Park
- September 24: Vernon Vipers hockey game
- October 1 – 2: Vernon Fall Home Show at Kal Tire Place
- October 7: Vernon Vipers hockey game
- October 8: Vernon Vipers hockey game
- October 14: Vernon Vipers hockey game
Report to Council: Active Living Centre Referendum Strategic Communications Plan
Thank you for your contribution!
Help us reach out to more people in the community
Share this with family and friends