Project objective: ‘To find an indoor facility mix that meets the current and future needs of a growing community and has the opportunity to attract new residents and visitors to the Greater Vernon area.’
The 2018 Recreation Master Plan indicated the need for facility development and specifically the need for the following facilities as the highest priority:
- Aquatic Centre (a NEW pool to increase aquatic use capacity, upgrade existing pool features)
- Dedicated Program Spaces
- Fitness Space
- Indoor Walking / Running Track
Based on community input, the Feasibility Study has outlined a Preferred Design Option for the development of a new Active Living Centre and is determining associated costs to build and operate.
FaulknerBrowns Architects worked with the Feasibility Study Committee to develop a preferred design option that considers:
- Amenities aligned with the facility priority recommendations identified in the Greater Vernon Recreation Master Plan.
- Synergies of use and Community Support for one location vs two
- What We Heard from the Community through public engagement
Below are conceptual designs for the proposed Active Living Centre facility.